My very own piece of cyber earth where I can rant and rave. A place where all shoes are accepted and loved (except for ones from Payless of course).

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Devil's Playground

I just had a very interesting conversation with my mother regarding religion. Specifically why she decided to join the Mormon Church. I have always wondered what made my mother (who was raised Catholic) decide to get involved with the least traditional of Christian sects. The conversation went something like this:

Me: So why did you decide to become Mormon?

Mom: Well, I always felt like I needed to give you kids a good religious foundation. So you could learn about God and Jesus.

Me: OK.

Mom: Oh, and when I first met the missionaries there was a lot of devil worshipping going on in the area.

-Side Note- Growing up we lived in a city called Scotia in upstate New York. As you drove into Scotia you passed a sign that reads, “Scotia, A Village of Fine Homes.” Scotia was not a place you would ever EVER associate with children sacrificing cats and such in the basement. How my mother had her finger on the pulse of the devil worshipping community in any event is beyond me…

Me: Come again?

Mom: Yeah, there was lots of devil worshipping, and I just wanted you kids to know that there were other options.

Me: Other options than devil worshipping?

Mom: Uh huh. I just thought you needed to know that you didn’t have to worship the devil. There were other good choices for religion out there.

Me: So you joined the Mormon Church because you were afraid Kerry (my sister) and I would become devil worshippers.

Mom: I just wanted you to know that you had other options.

Me: Other than devil worship you mean. Were you really worried we were going to become Satanists?

Mom: Well I just think it’s important to know there are other options.

Me: Laughing hysterically.

I thought her reasoning was equal parts crazy, hilarious, and touching. While neither of us are currently involved in any church, some good must have come from my time as a Mormon. Namely I never became a devil worshipper. I suppose as a parent you have lots of things to worry about. I just had no idea that your children becoming devil worshipers was one of them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

A "village" of fine homes? It sounds a bit suspicious to me...

9:33 AM

 
Blogger sara said...

That's a great story...so funny!

3:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home