My very own piece of cyber earth where I can rant and rave. A place where all shoes are accepted and loved (except for ones from Payless of course).

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Eat your heart out, Oprah!

Last night marked the first monthly Sundance book club meeting, which I held at my new house. I have to admit the weeks leading up the book club were very nerve wracking for me. I worried that people would hate the book (we read Good in Bed, by Jennifer Weiner). I wondered what I would do if nobody wanted to discuss what they had read. What if I was the only one who actually read the book? What if nobody had a good time? What if everyone cancelled at the last minute? What if I ran out of food? What if everyone didn't like the food? As you can see, hosting a book club is not as easy and fun as you would imagine.

However, despite all the potential for disaster, I am pleased to report the first book club was a slam dunk! Everyone came right on time, most everyone loved the book, the food was great and the atmosphere social and festive. Each and every one of us had an opinion about what we had read. It wasn't just a group of people reading their favorite paragraph (I've been to that kind of book group before...YAWN). We analyzed, debated and had an actual discussion. Apart from the quality of the discussion, I was really struck by the quality of people I work with. I actually like everyone I work with. I enjoy spending time with them both in and out of the office. Don't get me wrong, we have definitely had the occasional bad apple, but they never last for very long.

The next book we are reading was picked by the one and only Susan, dollcake extraordinaire. We'll be reading "The Sex Lives of Cannibals” written by J. Maarten Troost, which I have been informed has nothing to do with either Sex or Cannibals, so it should be an interesting read!

As if to prove that the universe is constantly trying to maintain balance, I read in the November issue of Details magazine that short pants on men are actually now in style. The lingering nausea over the thought of men in short pants is indescribable...That’s what I get for having a great book club I suppose…men in pants that are too short.

1 Comments:

Blogger Douglas said...

Amen sister! Being 6'5" Its hard to find pants, but somehow I manage, anyone shorter than me should not have a problem finding pants that fit!!

1:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home