My very own piece of cyber earth where I can rant and rave. A place where all shoes are accepted and loved (except for ones from Payless of course).

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Words of Wisdom...

This is from a book titled Fraud, written by David Rakoff. Words of wisdom we can all use at some points in our lives…

“Sheila taught me a survival technique for getting through seemingly intolerable situations – boring lunches, stern lectures on attitude or time management, those necessary breakup conversations, and the like: maintaining eye contact, keep you face inscrutable and mask like, with the faintest hint of a smile. Keep this up as long as you possibly can, and just as you feel you are about to crack and take a letter opener and plunge it into someone’s neck, fold you hands in your lap, one nestled inside the other, like those of a supplicant in priory. Now, with the index finger of your inner hand, write on the palm of the other, very discreetly and undetectably, “I hate you. I hate you. I hate you…” over and over again as you pretend to listen. You will find that this brings a spontaneous look of interest and pleased engagement to you countenance. Continue and repeat as necessary.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

That is the most hilarious thing I have ever read! A gem! I shall take that little trick with me throughout my life and use it always.

9:05 PM

 
Blogger Nancy said...

This is brilliant... so funny.

Ahhh! Your word verification is killing me... it just out "v" next to "w" and they were indiscernable. I got it wrong!

12:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home